This old fashioned cake doughnut is slightly crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. If you have never had homemade cake donuts then you are in for a huge surprise once these are done. Add sugar into w medium-sized bowl together with baking powder along with salt and nutmeg.
Whisk them until well incorporated then add melted butter with two eggs. Add a cup of buttermilk then use a whisk to mix everything until you can feel that all the ingredients added are well combined. Next, add flour then with a wooden spoon start combing the flour into the batter, if your dough is sticky or very wet you may use half a cup of flour at a time, mix until the dough is well-formed, it should not be too sticky or too hard.
Place the dough in the refrigerator for about one hour then flour your work surface and pull out the dough working with half of the dough at a time on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough to about half of an inch thick then using a round ring, punch the donut out of the dough then using a small round shape cutter, punch the center of the round dough to form a donut.
Get your oil heated to 3650 degrees Fahrenheit then gently add the donuts in there and let them fry for about three minutes until golden brown. You will also fry the donut holes and once done, prepare some sugar and cinnamon then dust the donuts with them.
You can also make a glaze by mixing icing sugar with honey and a little bit of vanilla the whisk while adding a little water until you get a consistency that you desire. Take one of your donuts and dip in there then place on a cooling rack.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling dough out
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 cup vegetable oil, used for frying doughnuts
- In a large mixing bowl add sugar, baking powder. salt and nutmeg then whisk well.
- Add melted butter, eggs, and buttermilk to sugar mixture and mix until combined then add 3 cups of flour to wet mixture, beat until blended. Add 1 cup of additional flour.
- Combine with a wooden spoon until well blended. The dough should be sticky but firm to handle. Add 1/2 cup or more of flour it needed.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
- Add oil to 10-inch skillet and heat over medium heat until temp on oil reaches 365 degrees F.
- Remove half the dough from refrigerate and roll out 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into doughnut shapes by using a 3 inch round circle. Use a 1″ circle to make and remove the doughnut center.
- Add doughnuts and centers to hot oil, be sure not to overcrowd, Fry for 2 1/2 minutes, flip and fry 1 more minute or until doughnuts are light and golden brown.
- Remove doughnuts from oil and drain on paper towels. Cool
- Glaze doughnuts toss in sugar & cinnamon or powder sugar. Frost doughnuts and add sprinkles if desire.
For the Glaze;
- 2 cups Powder Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3-5 tablespoons of water
Add powder sugar, honey, and vanilla into a deep mixing bowl. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until glaze will coat doughnuts.
For sugar and cinnamon coating;
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon