This cake is super soft and fluffy, moist with a beautiful crumb to it with a melt-in-your-mouth texture. It’s super buttery which you want for a delicious butter cake, it is the perfect treat for afternoon tea. This is the best butter cake you will ever make.
Buttermilk butter cake is super buttery and soft, it is the perfect recipe for your go-to easy cake. Start by preheating your oven to 150 degrees Celcius and prepare your baking tin. Lightly butter and line a parchment paper on your baking tin and set that aside. Into the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together room-temperature butter, sugar, and oil.
Use the whisk attachment to mix the ingredients to incorporate a lot of butter in this recipe, beat it on medium speed for about 5 minutes until the mixture is light and creamy. Once that is done, you are going to add 5 eggs one at a time, crack all the eggs into one bowl then add the egg. Make sure you beat each egg in the butter well scraping the bowl down to make sure everything is mixing well before adding the next egg.
For the dry ingredients, sift flour and baking powder in a different bowl and give that a good mix. Before adding the dry ingredients to the butter, prepare half a cup of buttermilk and add in vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add in half of the dry ingredients then add in your buttermilk and vanilla once that is just mixed in add the rest of the dry ingredients. Once the dry ingredients are almost moistened, turn the mixer to low speed and mix it just until combined and there are no lumps.
You want to make sure you are not overmixing your batter. Pour the batter into your prepared baking tin and smoothen the top then bake it in your preheated oven for 60 minutes. Once baked and out of the oven, let the cake cool down for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan and let it cool completely before cutting it.
- 1 cup (220g/ 7.7Oz) salted butter
- 1 cup (220g/ 7.7Oz) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp unflavoured vegetable oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g/ 7.7Oz) All-purpose flour or cake flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (112ml) buttermilk
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- If using unsalted butter, add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients
- Regular sugar can be used as a substitute for caster sugar
- Bake at 150 Celcius (300F) for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Do not open the oven too early otherwise this will affect the texture of the cake. If you want to check your cake earlier, then only start checking it at 50 minutes.
- Used an 8-inch square or round cake tin.