You will love how tasty these mini sponge cakes are. They are the perfect breakfast cakes served with a cup of tea or coffee. Start by sifting the flour into a bowl, sifting is very important because it helps you when whisking other ingredients more easily and also prevents any clumps from getting in. After sifting the flour, add in a quarter teaspoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of baking powder, a cup of granulated sugar and a quarter teaspoon of salt then whisk them and set aside.
Into another bowl, add three eggs together with half a cup of sour cream and half a cup of warm milk. Whisk the wet ingredients to combine then add vanilla extract for flavouring and give it another whisk. The final ingredients to add in the wet mixture is three-quarters of unsalted room temperature butter.
Add the bitter into the mixture and lightly beat it in, the butter will be clumped up like cottage cheese but that is fine when you add the dry ingredients it will be fine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and just mix it in until you get a smooth batter.
You want to bake this recipe in a cake mould, line the cake mould liners in the cake moulds or lightly grease the thein and add the cake batter to about three quarters way full then bake these in 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the centres are set. Let them cool once out of the oven before serving them, you can also serve these with simple vanilla buttercream and enjoy them.
- 1 2/3 cup (213g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120mL) sour cream, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120mL) whole milk, warm
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake papers in a cupcake pan.
- Sift the flour, sugar salt, baking soda and powder into a large bowl, and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, add in three-room temperature eggs together with sour cream, vanilla extract and milk then lightly whisk them to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly into the moulds and filling each them with about 2/3 the way up.
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until centres is springy to the touch.