This is the perfect sponge cake every single time. Sponge cakes are really light, fluffy and voluminous but they are a little bit drier on the inside and that is because they are made without any oil, butter or grease. This is the perfect cake for any type of filling especially when you are going to use fruits or jam. Into the bowl of a stand mixer, add in 6 larges eggs and top that add a teaspoon of vanilla extract or any other type of extract then finish off with a cup of sugar.
Whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla for about 7 to 8 minutes on high speed until the eggs are really thick, fluffy and they should be pale white in color. Sponge cakes get all their fluffiness from the eggs so you need to get the eggs to the right consistency. For the dry ingredients, add one cup of all-purpose flour in a bowl and to that add a teaspoon of baking powder then mix that together so it’s equally distributed.
Once the eggs have been well beaten, add in the sifted dry ingredients gradually and use a spatula to gently but thoroughly fold the batter from the bottom of the mixing bowl. Adding in the flour gradually takes a little bit more time but it’s really important otherwise it is going to clump up, weigh down the eggs and then the cake will be flat. Line the bottom of the baking pan with a parchment paper then pour in the cake batter.
If you have small pans you can divide the batter between the pans then bakes in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 20 to 22 minutes or until they have a rich golden-brown color onto then take it out of the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool completely then slice the cake and frost it with jam or fruits. Alternatively, you can serve it plain with powdered sugar.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200 g) white granulated sugar
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C when starting the recipe. Line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper but do not grease the sides, otherwise, the cake will not rise properly.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla into the bowl and whisk on high speed for 7 to 9 minutes, until the eggs are thick, pale and voluminous.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour and baking powder. Once the eggs are ready, sift the dry ingredients into the eggs in small increments or one-third at a time.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the top of the cake turns a rich, golden-brown colour. Immediately after removing the cake from the oven, run a knife along the edge of the pan to release the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before splitting/cutting the cake or using for a cake recipe.