Yellow rice is a traditional Spanish dish that is basically white rice that is colored by the spices turmeric or saffron when prepared. This yellow rice recipe calls for turmeric but you could easily substitute saffron and achieve the same bright yellow color and slightly tangy flavor. If you are using saffron, take however much chicken stock or broth yo are going to use then add a hefty pinch of saffron and let it steep in the warm broth until you are ready to use it and that will give you the yellow golden color.
Alternatively, in a small bowl, mix chicken bouillon powder, ground turmeric, onion powder, and granulated garlic powder and that will be your homemade version of saffron for the yellow rice. OIn a cooking pot., add oil then start sauteing chopped onions, finely chopped yellow mini bell pepper, minced garlic, and once the onions are translucent and the bell peppers have softened, add prewashed rice and combine with the vegetable and continue cooking for about 5 minute on medium to medium-high heat.
Add the dry seasoning and mix those up and stir just for a minute to allow the dry ingredients to warm through. Add two cups of water and this is standard, depending on your quantity, you will use two cups of water for one cup of rice. Give everything a gentle stir and let it come to a rolling simmer then lower the heat and let it cook for 15 minutes then throw in the peas, cover, and continue cooking, for a few more minutes until rice is completely cooked.
Once cooked, let the rice sit with the lid on for about 10 minutes then remove the lid and serve. This is one simple dish that you are going to enjoy.
- 1 cup (205 g) long-grain rice
- 1/3 cup (40 grams) finely chopped onion
- 2 to 3 (10 g) cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup or more peas defrosted
- 2 to 3 (30 g)Tbsp finely minced yellow bell pepper
- pinch of salt to sauté veggies
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp granulated onion powder
- 16 oz (473 mL) water
- 2 to 3 Tbsp cooking oil for sauté
- Add oil to preheated pot or pan.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, and sauté until softened and onions are translucent.
- Next, add pre-washed rice to toast and combine with veggies on medium heat for five minutes.
- Then add dry seasonings and continue to combine and warm through for forty-five seconds to a minute.
- Now add water, gently stir and bring to a simmer.
- Then cover with a lid, lower heat, and cook for fifteen to eighteen minutes.
- After fifteen minutes add the peas, cover, and continue cooking, for a few more minutes until rice is completely cooked then leave covered, turn off the heat, and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Then fluff and serve.