These ovens baked salt and pepper wings are crispy and super delicious, you will need a side sauce to complement these wings. You will need some black pepper and white pepper, the flavour of the pepper is such an integral part of the flavour for this dish. Grind the peppercorns and place half of the paper into the chicken wings in a large mixing bowl.
To the wings, add salt and the secret ingredients to making these wings super crispy is the baking powder, baking powder will make the outside of teh chiken more likely to get browned and crispy. Mix to ensure the salt, pepper and baking powder is well distributed in the chiken wings.
Lay the chiken wings on a wire rack and lay give them enough space so that hot air can go around them when baking. You will first, bake them in a slow oven and that will help the fat to render out and teh skin to crispen out then you will second bake them.
Bake for 30 minutes at first then remove from the oven and turn then over and bake on high temparature for another 40 minutes. Serve the chicken with a few spring onions with the sauce on the side.
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1kg (2 lb) chicken wings
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 1tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp finely chopped spring onion (scallions)
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 120°C/250°F.
- Grind the peppercorns to a fine powder then sprinkle over the chicken wings. Add the baking powder and salt to the wings and mix well.
- Place a rack into a baking tray and brush with oil then spread the wings out on the rack. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes in 250 degrees Fahrenheit oven.
- Turn the wings over and increase oven heat to 200°C/390°F and cook for another 30-40 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
- Transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle with spring onions and serve with your choice of sauce.