You are going to love this super-soft, fragrant orange cake made with almond flakes. In a small bowl, zest in two oranges and grate only the surface of the orange if you zest the white part the cake will have a bitter taste. Squeeze the juice of the lemons and you will need 100 ml of the orange juice. In a mixing bowl, add one cup of fine semolina flour and pour in the orange juice then let the flour sit soaked in the orange juice for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the dry ingredients by sifting three-quarters cup of flour into a mixing bowl together with almond flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt. Lightly whisk the dry ingredients to combine then set it aside. In another bowl, add one cup of the softened unsalted butter together with fine sugar then mix the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy light, fluffy and pale.
Add in 4 large eggs one at a time while mixing the egg really well after each addition. Bring the soaked semolina flour and add it in the butter-sugar mixture and mix on low speed until combined. Add in the lemon zest and the sifted dry ingredients and fold them in until all the flour is moistened then add 1 tablespoon of orange juice and continue folding until you get a smooth batter with no lumps.
Prepare a round or square baking tin, greased and lined with a parchment paper then pour in the batter, smoothen the top with a spatula then top with half a cup of almond flakes. Bake the cake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once out of the oven let the cake cool completely before slicing.
- 150ml (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp) orange juice
- 160g (1 cup) fine semolina flour
- 100g (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) almond flour/meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 226g (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 180g (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) fine sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 orange zest
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 40g (1/2 cup) almond flakes
- Grate and squeeze the orange zest and juice respectively. Set aside.
- Soak the semolina flour and let it rest for about 30min or while you are preparing the other ingredients.
- Sift all the dry ingredients: plain flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt then in a large bowl, add butter (softened) and sugar. Mix them until creamy, fluffy and pale. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until combined.
- Add in the soaked semolina flour. It’s normal that the semolina and orange mixture is thick. Using an electric mixer. Mix until combined.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients in 2 batches, alternate with the 1 tbsp of orange juice. Use a spatula to fold in the dry ingredients, as we do not want to over mix.
- Transfer the batter to a round or square prepared baking pan, greased and lined with parchment paper then use an offset spatula to spread the surface evenly.
- Spread and sprinkle the almond flakes covering the top of the cake and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for about 50-55min or until the inserted skewer comes out clean
- Let the cake cool completely before cutting and serving.