Make your mornings extra special with these mini pancakes that you can just devour an entire stack in one bite. There are different ways you can make your mini pancakes, this one, start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. To a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and whisk to combine. Wait momentarily before adding the egg if the mixture is still very warm so you don’t scramble the egg.
Add the egg, vanilla, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, and whisk to combine. Add the baking soda, salt, and whisk to combine. Add the flour and stir until just combined; don’t overmix. The mixture should be quite thick and the texture of soft cookie dough. It should not be pourable like typical pancake batter. However, if it’s very stiff and thick, add the remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons buttermilk, as necessary and stir to combine.
To a large nonstick skillet or griddle, add a generous amount of butter, and heat over medium heat to melt. After the butter has melted add mounds of approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of batter evenly spaced around the skillet; do not flatten the mounds. Cook for about 2 minutes on the first side, or until lightly golden brown, flip and cook the second side.
If necessary, adjust the heat to medium-low when cooking the second side if they’re browning too quickly. Repeat with remaining batter, wiping out the skillet and adding additional butter as necessary until all batter is used. Place pancakes on the baking sheet and bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or as necessary so that the centres set; flip halfway through baking.
It’s okay to leave pancakes in the oven for about 30 to 60 minutes to keep them warm; check every 10 minutes or so since all ovens vary and you don’t want to overcook them. Serve with maple syrup or your favourite pancake toppings. Pancakes will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months; reheat as necessary. The other simpler way to use a griddle is written below.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- confectioners’ sugar, optional
- chocolate hazelnut spread, optional
Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add milk and mix until smooth, scraping sides if necessary.
- Add eggs and continue mixing until combined and smooth.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick spray and drop about 2 tablespoons per pancake onto the surface of the heated griddle.
- Cook pancakes for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve while warm with your favourite toppings. Heat up chocolate hazelnut spread in a heatproof bowl and drizzled it over the pancakes along with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve and enjoy.