The base of meat pies is made with shortcrust pastry and the lids are made with puff pastry. For convenience, use store-bought for both if you wish. If making your own shortcrust pastry, don’t make the base too thin otherwise it will break when the pie is picked up.
This is key to ensure your filling has a rich complex flavour and is a deep dark brown colour. Don’t crowd the pot otherwise the beef will stew in its own juices and will never brown. it’s best for the filling to be fridge cold to ensure the meat pie base doesn’t go soggy. Secondly, as with all stews, the filling is even better the next day.
This recipe calls for 1 cup of mashed potatoes. You can either use leftover mashed potato, or you can boil some peel potatoes and mash them. No need to add anything to them. Get smooth, and they will work just fine.
To make the filling, in a large skillet, heat some olive oil to medium-high. Add your onion, and sauté until it’s translucent and slightly soft. Then add your beef and pork, and let it brown. Break up the meat into small pieces as it cooks. When it’s no longer pink, add the mashed potato and spices.
In a small bowl, whisk together the beef broth and flour together. Pour that into the pan and mix everything until the potato has dissolved into the filling and your broth has thickened. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, to taste.
Line your pie plate with the bottom crust. Transfer your filling to the pie plate and top it with your second crust. Carefully fold the edges and press together to seal them, and create a vent in the top crust – piece with a fork, cut out a shape, whatever you prefer. Brush the top with a quick egg wash before baking.
To bake place your meat pie in a 375˚F oven and bake for 45 – 50 minutes. The crust should be nice and golden brown when you remove it. Let the pie rest and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup mashed potatoes *see note
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, mustard, all spice
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high. Add the oil and onions, and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and pork and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the meat into small pieces.
- Add mashed potatoes and spices.
- In a small jar or container, shake beef broth and flour until smooth and pour into the skillet.
- Cook until the broth has thickened.
- Place the bottom crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Fill the crust with meat filling and top with remaining pie crust.
- Seal the two crusts together, rolling to one over the other if needed, and press gently with a fork or fingers.
- Brush the top crust with egg wash.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown in colour.