This key lime pound cake is drizzled with a cheese glaze, a perfect cake for any occasion and its pretty doggone easy to make. Into a large bowl, add some all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt then whisk that around to get everything combined and then you will add in some key lime zest and combine it in.
For the wet ingredients, add in softened butter in a very large bowl then beat with a hand whisk until it gets nice and creamy then you will add in sugar and when you are mixing, make sure your mixer is on low so you don’t overmix the butter and sugar. Once your batter is well-formed, add in your eggs one at a time and continue beating after each addition with your mixer still on low speed. You want to mix it just until its well combined.
Add in some natural lime extract and some natural vanilla extract just to bump up that luscious flavor. You will also need some moisture to get your cake that velvety texture and for that, you will add some sour cream and a little buttermilk, mix them up in the batter until they are well combined. Add in some key lime juice then start adding the dry ingredients into the batter in batches and mix just until it is combined and there are no lumps in the batter.
Grease and flour your pan then add the butter then pop it into the oven at 325degrees Fahrenheit for 75 minutes and let it cool off on a wire rack after you remove it from the oven. For the cheese lime glaze, beat some cream cheese in a bowl then add powdered sugar and key lime juice then mix it until it is all creamy, this glaze is a must so do not skip making it.
Add in some key lime zest to bump up the key lime flavor and it will complement the cake so well. Add in milk and mix that all up until you have your desired consistency of the glaze. Once the cake it totally colled off, go ahead and drizzle the glaze then garnish it with a little bit of key lime zest. Slice your cake and enjoy it.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons key lime zest (zest from about 4-5 key limes)
- 1½ cups unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lime extract
- 1/4 cup key lime juice (juice from about 4-5 key limes)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Key lime cream cheese icing;
- 2 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1-2 teaspoons key lime zest
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and lightly flour a baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and key lime zest. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using low mixer speed cream together butter and sugar just until combined.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time until combine.
- Mix in vanilla and lime extract.
- Mix in key lime juice, sour cream, and buttermilk.
- Gradually add dry mixture into the wet mixture until batter is fluffy and combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and shake the pan to level it out and remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place it on a cooling rack.
- When the pan is cool enough to touch, remove the cake from the cake pan and allow the cake to cool completely on the cooling rack.
- To make the glaze, combine all glaze ingredients until smooth and silky.
- Drizzle glaze over completely cooled cake and garnish with key lime zest.