The chicken is braised in a tomato and balsamic vinegar sauce, transferring the flavors into each bite. The sauce gets reduced in the same pot to concentrate the naturally sweet, tangy and savory flavors of the ingredients. The drippings then melt into the pan, flavoring the braising liquid. Once the chicken is seared, onions, tomatoes, and garlic are sauteed in the drippings. The onions lightly caramelize, the tomatoes cook down, and the garlic adds its aromatics.
Chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, and fresh thyme are added to the pot to create a braising liquid for the chicken. After the balsamic chicken is cooked under pressure, the sauce gets reduced down until its thick enough to cling to the meat.
- 3 chicken legs quarters, cut into 2
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1/4 star anise pod
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Wash and rinse the chicken with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Turn your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker on the Saute mode. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and sear the chicken thighs and drumsticks until all sides are nicely browned.
- Add onion and tomato and cook along with chicken until tomatoes start to break down – about 3 minutes.
- In the meantime: In a small skillet, toast coriander seeds, anise pod, and black pepper until fragrant. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- To make the sauce, combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, oregano, thyme, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Add the ground spices and stir to mix well.
- Pour in the chicken broth, then the sauce over chicken in the Instant Pot, give a quick stir and cover the lid. Select Manual mode and set to High pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once done, release pressure. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve the honey balsamic chicken with the sauce on top of rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.