This is a really simple and delicious carrot cake that can be eaten the way it is or topped with a cream cheese frosting. Before baking, there are a few things that you should know about this cake, make sure your carrots are finely grated and also ground your nuts in a food processor or in a bag and bash with a rolling pin.
In a bowl, sift in flour salt and bicarbonate soda, baking soda, and cinnamon then add in ground walnuts and mix that in using a spatula. Beat your eggs and sugar together in a stand mixer, you want to beat until its really pale and fluffy. Add in vegetable oil in a minimus speed then mix until well combined. The next thing to do is add your grated carrots and mix them briefly on low speed just until they come together.
Pop your dry ingredients and continue beating the batter until all combined. Your batter should be quite runny and drippy, so pour the batter into the cupcake about three-quarters full. Bake them at 180 degrees Celcius for 20 to 24 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the center comes out clean. While baking, you can make a cream cheese topping which is a perfect topping for a cupcake.
Add in soften butter in a mixer together with cream cheese and beat for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high speed then add in icing sugar and beat again for about 3 minutes. Your cream cheese should be lovely and white and fluffy and ready to top on your cupcakes.
Once your cupcakes are out of the oven and cooled, top with the cream cheese. You can use a spoon, palette or knife or you can put the cream cheese in a piping bag and pipe on the carrot cupcakes. You can also put anything you want on these cupcakes, a lot of people like wit with walnuts. Serve your delicious carrot cupcakes and enjoy it.
- 2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups ground walnuts/pecans
- 4 large eggs
- 1.5 cups caster sugar
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 3 cups of grated carrots
Cream cheese icing;
- 150g unsalted butter softened
- 240g full-fat cream cheese
- 840g icing sugar sifted
- Sift in the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix them then set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and cream cheese then add in eggs one after the other while beating ng after each addition.
- Add in grated carrot and mix until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter three quarters way full in the cupcake tins and bake them at 180 degrees for 20 to 24 minutes.
- Once baked, let the carrot cupcakes cool then top with icing and enjoy.