These homemade bread bowls start with an ordinary bread dough. Dissolve the yeast in warm water to get things going. Using a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, add warm water and sprinkle in yeast. Let the yeast dissolve for a few minutes until yeast becomes foamy. You can brush an egg wash all over the tops and sides of the bread bowls, then sprinkle with your favorite herbs.
To give you the full picture, use all-purpose flour when making the richer, softer, and more fluffy bread. Once the bread bowls have cooled off, you can cut a pocket out of the top center, and then pour the Broccoli Cheddar Soup into the bread bowl.
- 2½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 6-7 cups white all purpose flour
- Combine warm water, yeast, and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.
- Add oil, salt, and 1½ cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Mix on low speed (if in a bread mixer).
- Begin adding the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time until 5 cups total. Mix and continue to add the flour ½ cup at a time until the dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl and pulls away toward the middle.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces. Make round balls. Place on large cookie sheet and let rise until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.
- Rub tops of bread bowls with butter. Let Cool.
- Cut the top out and dig out bread, leaving a hollowed out bread bowl.
- Fill with your favorite cream soup or chowder.