Learning how to cook the perfect grain of rice is one of the basics of any kitchen. Simple as it may sounds, you just cannot nail it right without a few tricks. There are three different ways you can cook your basmati rice at home. Start with boiling three cups water then add half a teaspoon of salt. In this method, you need not be precise about the quantity of water because you will drain off excess water. Wash the rice two or three times with water and soak it in water for at least half an hour before you start boiling it.
When the water starts to boil, add in the soaked rice and drain off excess water from the soaked rice to get rid of the excess starch. Give the rice a stir then let it boil for 6 to 7 minutes then check on the rice by flattening it between your fingers, if it completely flattens that means the rice is cooked. The rice needs to be 80% cooked then drain off the water then let the rice cool before using it in any of the pulaos or Chinese fried rice.
The next method of cooking rice is in a pressure cooker, this is for when you are short of time and should not be used when you want to make biryani because this consistency is going to be soft and sticky. Have your prewashed and soaked rice then assemble everything into the pressure cooker. Pour some water then pace the vessel where you are going to cook the rice and add the soaked rice then add one-quarter cup of water with a little salt.
Give it a stir and cover the pressure cooker then place it on the heat and cook it for one whistle on high flame and two whistles on low flame. Turn off the heat and let the pressure cooker cool off before you open it. In the third method, you will use a proportional amount of water to rise and not drain off the water so you need to mark the proportion.
Pre-wash and soak your rice for half an hour. If you are cooking one cup of rice, you will need two cups of water, add salt and cover it. Let the rice cook in the water as it boils for around 15 minutes then check on it and see if the rice is ready and al the water is evaporated. Serve the basmati rice with any stew of your choice and enjoy it.
- 3 & 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of basmati rice (soaked)
- Boil water and add salt and turn on the flame
- Add pre-washed and soaked rice into boiling water, stir it and let it boil for 6-7 minutes.
- Drain out the excess water and with the fork pluck the rice properly and let it cool
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 1/4th cup of water
- In a pressure cooker place a thin stand.
- Pour some water and keep the vessel.
- Now add the pre-washed and soak rice, water, and salt.
- Make sure you place rubber lid and cover the lid.
- Also, place the vent valve.
- Keep the pressure cooker over the flame.
- Cook it for 1 whistle on high flame and 2 whistles on low flame.
- Let it cool down completely before you open it.
- 1 cup of rice
- 2 cups of water
- In a bowl add pre-washed and soaked rice
- Add water and salt and stir it
- Cover it with the lid
- After 15 minutes check the rice
- Perfect rice is ready to be served