This most amazing vanilla cake is delicious, moist, and sturdy enough to cover in fondant. It is really the only yellow or vanilla cake recipe you will ever need. Start with a 9-inch pan to make a 3 layer cake which is the perfect ratio of cake to frosting If you have a big pan that can fill this cake you can use it if you don’t, you will use 3 pans. Butter and flour the pans and line with a parchment paper. Starts with salted butter place it in a mixing bowl and you need that softened at room temperature along with vegetable oil and sugar (when making a white or vanilla cake it helps when all the ingredients are at room temperature you get better results that way.)
Use your hand mixer and beat them together until it is nice and creamy and about 90 seconds should do with that. Next start adding your liquid ingredients starting with buttermilk (use buttermilk because of the acid in it will react to the baking powder that we will add in later and help the cake to rise). Pour the buttermilk into the mixture and add in eggs and vanilla extract and mix it in until the egg yolks have been broken then add in your dry ingredients starting with all-purpose flour.
You can use cake flour to get that much lighter airier feel to the cake but of course, all-purpose flour is much more convenient then add in baking powder and salt and give it a final mix to combine. Do not over mix it just mixes it until all the flour is incorporated into the flour.
Take a rubber spatula and scrape the sides of the bowl and the bottom to make sure all the flour is well incorporated and there is nothing sticking to the bowl. Then divide the batter into 3 prepared pans just eyeball it and spread them out in the bottom just a little bit bake this in a 350F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
You do not want to over bake them so keep an eye on them because the fastest way to dry out a cake is overbaking. Once they are out of the oven let them cool for 5 minutes and then remove them and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Make sure your cakes are completely cooled before frosting them with your favorite frosting.
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 (300 grams) cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) buttermilk room temperature
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups (420 grams) all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grease three 9-inch pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream the butter, vegetable oil, and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add in flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until just combined. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure everything gets mixed in.
- Divide the batter among the three prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let sit in pans for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before layering and frosting with your favorite frosting.