This recipe takes just a few ingredients and bakes them together to make the perfect dinner in one baking dish, this is a dinner in one shot. You can use chicken breasts in this rice casserole too, they may not be as moist as the chicken thighs, but if you do, keep the bone in and skin on.
Bake the casserole, covered, at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. Use a very thick chicken breast for this recipe, because the thick chicken will have a longer cooking time and will therefore be done at the same time as the rice. Thin pieces of chicken will cook through in about 30-40 minutes, and will therefore be dried out by the time the rice is done at the 1-hour mark.
To reheat, cover the rice and chicken and place in a 350 degree F oven until warmed through. The reheated rice may be slightly mushy (compared to the original version), but it will still taste good.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 chicken thighs skin and bone on
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and add the chicken broth to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- In a deep 9×13 baking dish add the chicken skin side up to the pan then add the rice around it.
- Season with the garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and basil and pour over the chicken broth.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.