This cake will definitely be a hit. It’s super yummy and it’s hard to resist the combination of mint and chocolate. The cake is frosted with mint buttercream and layered with mint chocolate pieces. They are in between the cake layers and also used to decorate the cake. Mint chocolate cake can sit at room temperature for 2-3 days in an airtight container, or in the refrigerator for longer.
Bring the cake to room temperature before serving it for the best texture. You can use dark chocolate cocoa powder for a richer chocolate flavor in the chocolate cake. If you want to make this chocolate cake even lighter, try using buttermilk instead of whole milk. The acid in the buttermilk will work with the leavening in this cake to help it rise and give the cake a fluffy texture.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee you can substitute boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter and dust with cocoa powder two 9″ cake pans.
- In a stand mixer on low speed mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt,
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla then add it to the stand mixer on low then medium speed until just combined and finally add in the water carefully and stir it in by hand until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into each of the pans and bake for 30-35 minutes then remove.
- Let cool completely and frost with the mint frosting.