This recipe is effortless to make, tastes fantastic, and makes super creamy macaroni and cheese. You will need softened cream cheese and sharp cheddar cheese but you could use any cheese of your choice. You will also need cooked elbow macaroni, basically, bring it to a boil, salt it then cooks for 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the instructions of the package. Place your pot over medium-high heat then add unsalted butter and let it melt down then add seasoning and let them warm and start to get aromatic then add the softened cream cheese.
Break it apart and let it melt down and turns creamy. Add evaporated milk or you could use half and a half or heavy cream, continue to mix, and make sure the cream cheese and evaporated milk combine well. Once everything is well mixed and brought up to temperature, add the cheddar cheese, everything should be at low heat at this point and if it starts to bubble then turn the heat to low to ensure that everything marries well on low temperate because you don’t want to burn anything when it’s not ready.
Whisk and combine everything well until the cheddar cheese is melted and the cheese sauce will be done. Add the elbow macaroni and its basically ready to serve, you could also bake it in the oven to get the cheese melted on top especially when you are serving it for diner or for a get-together. Combine the cooked elbow macaroni with the sauce and mix it well then pop it into the oven. If you don’t want to bake it you can serve it right away after combining them.
Get a buttered 9 by 13 baking dish and add the macaroni and cheese and your oven should be preheated to 450 degrees, you will be working with high heat because it won’t bake for long, just to melt the cheese on top. Bake it in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted on top, you could also pop it into a broiler until it gets bubbly and golden brown. This dish is a simple one but a family favorite and will please everyone at the table.
- 1 lb (454 g) elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 8 oz (226 g) softened cream cheese
- 12 oz (354.88 mL) half cream and half whole milk (or 12 oz can of evaporated milk)
- 8 oz (226 g) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a preheated saucepot on medium-low heat add butter, paprika, onion powder and heat for 30 seconds
- Add softened cream cheese, whisk until completely melted and creamy then add half and half (or evaporated milk) combine well
- Add shredded cheddar cheese, stir and combine until cheese sauce is smooth and creamy
- Remove from heat or turn heat to the lowest setting until ready to use
- In a pot of 2 1/2 to 3 quarts of boiling water add 2 Tbsp salt, mix and add elbow macaroni
- Stir and bring water back up to a rolling boil then cook for 10 minutes or until the desired doneness then drain water from elbow macaroni
- Combine elbow macaroni into the cheese sauce then mix well and serve
- If baking, use a 9×13 baking dish
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly on top.