This chocolate pound cake comes with a chocolate glaze and it is delicious, mouth-watering and one of my favorite things in the world. Get softened butter in a mixing bowl and beat that on medium speed until light and fluffy and then begin adding granulated sugar. Beat them together for about two minutes until it is really fluffy, add some vanilla extract and about five eggs. You want to mix each egg in before you add the next while beating the mixture between each addition. Once they are fully incorporated, get your dry ingredients which are sifted all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
Add the dry ingredients about a third at a time while beating it on low speed and then add in sour cream and continue adding the dry ingredients. Once the batter is ready, line your baking tin with a parchment paper and pour in the batter. Bake the chocolate pound cake at 355 degrees for about 45 to 50 minutes until its nice and domed up and a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. While the cake is baking, you can make a really simple chocolate glaze, sift powdered sugar and cocoa together in a bowl then add in some liquid, you can use either water or milk. Whisk that together until its smooth and set it aside.
Once your cake is baked and cool, set it on a pan and drizzle the chocolate glaze on top. If you want to freeze your cake, drizzle it after freezing when you want to eat it.
- 1 cup softened butter (226 grams)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar (500 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (88 grams)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (280 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream (227 grams)
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted (125 grams)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 1–2 tablespoons milk or coffee
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Set oven to 325ºF (160ºC) and grease two 9×5 loaf pans. Sift a teaspoon of cocoa into each and shake it around to coat the pans.
- Cream butter with sugar over medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and mix. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Add half flour to butter mixture and mix on low speed until moistened.
- Add half the sour cream and mix. Add remaining flour, mix lightly, then sour cream and mix completely.
- Divide batter between loaf pans and bake for 40-50 minutes until the cakes test done.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn onto racks to cool.
- For glaze, whisk all together until smooth. Drizzle over cakes once cooled and sprinkle with pecans.
- To freeze: Cool completely and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Then wrap again in aluminum foil.