This is a large, moist yellow batter sheet cake that your family is going to love. You will need a 12 by 18 baking sheet that is greased then dusted with flour. The original recipe for this cake is large and if you are making if for a small family you can half the recipe or even quarter it. You will need five cups of all-purpose flour to that add half a cup of cornstarch and its the corn starch that will make this cake really light in texture.
You will also add in baking powder and salt then mix them very well so every ingredient is well dispersed in the flour, set that aside. Add room temperature butter to the bowl of a stand mixer then beat that just until fluffy then add in sugar a little at a time with the mixer at low speed.
For the wet ingredients, you will need milk in a large bowl then to that add in six eggs and beat them until the eggs are broken ion the milk, also you will be adding vanilla extract to the mixture. Start adding the dry ingredients alternating with the wet mixture into the butter mixture in the bowl, do this in batches so it is easy for everything to mix.
Beat the batter until everything is smooth and there are no lumps but you do not want to overbeat the batter. Take your prepared baking tray and pour in the batter and make sure it’s even all nicely in the pan. Bake the cake in 325 degrees preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes. use a toothpick to check if the cake is well baked before removing it from the oven. You can have this cake the way it is or serve it with frosting
- 5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Corn starch
- 8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk room temperature
- 6 eggs
- 4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 sticks butter ( 2 cups)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- Combine all the dry in a bowl and stir. Set aside
- In a bowl put slightly beaten eggs, vanilla and milk stir
- Beat butter and granulated sugar till light and fluffy
- Add dry ingredients slowly it should like small crumbs when combined.
- Add liquid ingredients till the batter is silky smooth
- Grease a 12 x 18 sheet pan Dust with flour
- Pour batter into pan evenly tap the bottom of the cake pan
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-50 minutes check with a cake tester or toothpick if the cake is baked before removing it from the oven.
- Place on a cooling rack