They are one of the easiest biscuits that you can in your kitchen the simplicity of these biscuits make them wonderful they are buttery milky mildly sweet and crispy and flaky and they melt into your mouth. You can make this chocolate using the following ingredients; sugar, butter, flour, and salt. The secret behind the perfect shortbread cookie is the proportion in which the 3 ingredients are combined. We need the sugar the butter and flour in the ratio 1:2:3.
To start put the plain flour in a bowl and add cornflour or corn starch and a pinch of salt to enhance the flavour and give it a good whisk to make sure everything is we’ll mix and put it aside. Now start making the cookie dough; into a bowl add the butter which should be cold to touch and add in fine or granulated sugar and use a wooden spoon to combine until it is well mixed to form the buttercream. Once it forms a nice cream sift in your four mixture to it gradually mixing briefly between each addition using a wooden spoon.
The mixture will seem dry and crumbly then transfer it to working surface and using your clean hands to form the crumbs into a mass of dough you don’t need to over mix or over-knead the dough can cause the gluten formation that can result in a tough cookie. Squish and squish to get a shape, it is so much fun and easy making this dough and shaping the cookies. Roll it into a sheet that is about 1 cm thickness. If the dough sticks to your rolling pin let the dough sit and rest to 6 to 10 minutes or until the batter forms up.
Use the parchment paper while rolling to prevent the batter from sticking. Once it is formed we can cut them to any shape we want by using a cookie cutter and put them in a baking sheet pick them using your knife or spatula. Roll out the left out and cut them into different shapes or roll them into a small ball and press them down using a fork.
You can use a fork to prick the cookie dough to allow the steam to escape and prevent the shortbread from bubbling as it bakes. Baking shortbread at the right temperature is important to get that right crispiness and pale golden brown colour. Bake at 325F for 25 to 30 minutes, the shortbread cookies will be slightly soft as they come out of the oven.
Let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes this gives it a delicate cookie a chance to firm up a bit then, transfer them onto a cooling rack and let it cool down completely. Once they are cooled down completely transfer them to a plate and enjoy. The cookies can be served with tea or milk.
- Sugar:75 g
- Butter:150 g
- Flour: All-purpose flour:150 g
- Corn Flour:75 g
- A pinch of salt
- Mix together in a separate bowl the flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Cream in the butter and sugar.
- Sift in, the flour into the batter until just combined.
- Transfer on to a clean work surface and bring the crumbs into a dough form, by squishing. Take care to not over-mix.
- Roll dough out into a sheet of thickness about 1 cm.
- Cut the dough into rounds with a circular cutter and place on the baking sheet, 2″ apart.
- Prick the centre of each cookie a few times with the tines of a fork then sprinkle a generous amount of sugar on them.
- Bake at 325 F Preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until just before they start to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.