Really easy and super yummy, these jam cookies are my obsession and I decided to share with you how to make these sweet pastries. For perfectly soft cookies that don’t spread, use a scale to measure out your ingredients. It is so, so easy to over-measure or under-measure flour when using cups, causing your cookies to be too hard or to spread when they shouldn’t. Add the jam before baking the cookies. If the jam is too firm and isn’t easy to drop into the cookies, then place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave for just a few seconds, just until it is easy to stir. Add your softened butter in a large mixing bowl with sugar and egg yolks. Mix together the butter and sugar, then add vanilla extract. Using a hand mixer, cream everything together then start adding flour in bits until everything comes together.
Chill the cookie dough balls for 30-60 minutes, until the cookies are firm to the touch. This will keep the cookies from spreading in the oven. Space the cookies out on a sheet pan, and fill each one with about a teaspoon of jam. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the cookies are lightly golden on the edges.
- 12 tbsp salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 7.5 ounces by weight all-purpose flour
- Assorted jams of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- With an electric mixer, mix together the butter and sugar until they are blended and creamed together. Then mix in the vanilla.
- Add the flour, and mix on low speed for 2-3 minutes, until the ingredients have combined into a dough.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portion out scoops of dough, then roll each one into a ball.
- Make small indentations in the top for later holding the jam.
- To keep the cookies from spreading during baking, refrigerate the cookies for 30-60 minutes until firm to the touch.
- You can rush this process by freezing for 15 minutes instead, but they may spread slightly.
- Evenly space the cookies on a half sheet tray, then fill each cookie with 1/2 to 1 tsp of jam in each indentation.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden on the edges, but still, mostly pale in color.
- Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack, for at least 60 minutes, but ideally a few hours.
- These aren’t the kind of cookies that taste good when they’re hot.