This easy moist and tender ginger lemon cake recipe is bursting with lemon flavour. You won’t get enough of it. Once you grated 4 lemons and juiced a couple of lemons, the rest is easy peasy. Beat butter, sugar, ginger and lemon zest together, add the eggs, then add 1/3 the flour and the other dry ingredients, 1/2 of the liquids – sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
Repeat once more, and end with the rest of the flour mixture. After adding the flour, make sure to mix the batter as little as possible, just until combined. When the cake is ready, let it sit in the pan for 15 minutes before inverting it onto a plate. It’s important to do this while the cake is still warm. During this time make the syrup.
If you prefer making it before, while the cake is in the oven, it’s ok too. You can brush the syrup over the cake while it’s still warm or at room temperature. To loosen the cake from the pan, put a large serving plate upside-down on top of the pan.
Hold the cake pan and invert it quickly onto the plate, then lift off the pan. If it doesn’t loosen easily, tip the pan gently, or run a knife along the edges. Any goofs can be covered later with the glaze. Brush the syrup over the top and sides. Use all the syrup.
Lastly, make the glaze. Make sure that the glaze is quite thick, so it would drizzle slowly down the sides of the cake. Drizzle over the cooled cake, and allow to set, 15-30 minutes.
- 1½ cups (200 g/7 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons (175 g/6.2 oz) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated peeled ginger
- ½ cup (1 stick/113g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons water
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 320F/160C. Grease an 8½ x 4¼-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Set bowls aside.
- In another small bowl, toss together sugar, lemon zest, and grated ginger using your fingers until well combined or process the mixture in a food processor.
This step is necessary to get the flavours out of the lemon and ginger.
- Using a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together butter and lemon-sugar mixture.
- Beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Occasionally scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. On low speed, beat in half of the flour mixture, followed by the milk mixture, and then the rest of the flour mixture.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- If the top is browning too fast while baking, cover the pan loosely with aluminium foil.
- Allow cooling for 10 minutes before adding the syrup.
To make the syrup;
- While the cake is in the oven, prepare the syrup. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice, and water.
- Cook on medium-low heat until sugar dissolves and syrup forms. Set aside to cool.
- While the cake is still warm, poke the top a few times with a toothpick, then brush with syrup.
- Allow cake to cool completely on a wire rack. The syrup makes it extra moist, so if it’s cut while still warm, it may crumble.