Delicious and super moist soft butter cake made with full-fat milk which adds flavor and tenderness to these mini cakes. In a large mixing bowl, add softened unsalted butter and castor sugar then cream the butter and sugar until soft, fluffy and pale. Add 3 egg yolks one at a time and whisk until combined before adding the next egg yolk. The egg yolk is what will give these cakes their yellow color so make sure you use eggs which have a deep yellow yolk.
Whisk until all the yolks are fully combined then add a tablespoon of vanilla extract and whisk in until combined and smooth. Into the batter mixture, soft in the self-raising flour and fold in in the butter just until combined then add full-fat milk and fold everything just until combined.
You do not want to overmix the cake batter. Bring the bowl with the egg whites and start whipping it on medium speed until its fluffy and doubled in size then add in sugar and increase the speed to high. Beat the egg whites until it reaches a stiff peak. Add the meringue into the batter in 3 batches and fold it in with a spatula, you want to be gentle because the meringue is what will give this cake its super tender structure.
Bring the mini cake mold and pour the batter three quarters way full then tap the pan on the counter and bake the cakes in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. If you don’t have the mini cake molds, you can bake the cake in a round or square cake tin for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. These cakes are best-served plain and they are with a cup of tea. Enjoy.
- 180 g salted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 30 g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- 150 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 45 ml full-fat fresh milk
- 3 egg whites
- 70 g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then butter and lightly flour the cake molds or a baking tin.
- Cream butter and 30 g sugar till pale and fluffy, scraping sides and bottom of mixing bowl as necessary.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, plus vanilla extract with the last yolk. Beat thoroughly after each addition until the egg yolks are mixed well and the sugar is dissolved.
- Sift the flour into the butter mixture in quarters and fold with a spatula alternating the flour with milk in 2 batches, fold just until the flour is moistened and the batter is smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till thick. Continue whisking whilst gradually adding 70 g sugar, till egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into flour mixture in 3 batches, scraping down as necessary to ensure even mixing.
- Pour the batter in the prepared cake molds or baking tin and bake the case in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- If baking with the mini cake molds, bake the cakes for 30 to 35 minutes.