A marble cake is a unique cake because it combines a chocolate cake with a vanilla cake. The first thing you need to do is to preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit butter your baking pan or use a nonstick spray to coat it because we don’t want our cake to stick. Start with melting our chocolate, use either semisweet or bittersweet chocolate and put that in a heatproof bowl, melt it till it’s nice and smooth. Remove it from the heat, give it a quick stir and put it aside to cool to room temperature. For the cake batter, add butter into a mixer and beat it until creamy and smooth.
With the mixer running on low speed or medium-low, gradually add a cup of granulated sugar. Make sure all the air has been removed in the mixture by beating it at medium speed for another three to five minutes until it is creamier and fluffy. Next, add 3 large eggs one at a time and have your eggs at room temperature, once you are done, add a teaspoon of vanilla along with a third cup of sour cream or full-fat plain yogurt. For the dry ingredients, add a half teaspoon of baking powder to all-purpose flour, a quarter of a teaspoon of baking soda and a half a teaspoon of salt then sift the dry ingredients making sure the ingredients are well mixed into the flour.
Start adding the flour to the batter mixture in the mixer and start the mixer on low speed and then increase as it stsrts to mix, add milk as you continue to beat the mixture. Once you are done and everything is well incorporated, divide the batter into two bowls and add the melted chocolate mixture to one of the bowls with the batter. Place the batter in a baking pan alternating both the batter with the melted chocolate and the batter without until you are done and use a toothpick to make a swirl until its marbelized and put it in the oven between 35 to 40 minute until a toothpick inserted into the center of the marble cake comes out clean.
- 1/2 cup Butter Unsalted, Room temperature
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 3 Eggs Large
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups Cake flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Water Hot
- 1 cup Chocolate chips Semisweet
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the dry flour mixture into the wet mixture, alternating with buttermilk and mix until just combined.
- Remove 1/3 of the batter into a separate bowl. Keep aside.
- In another small bowl, add cocoa powder and water and mix until smooth.
- Pour this chocolate mixture to the bowl of reserved batter and mix until smooth.
- To assemble this cake, pour half the vanilla cake batter in a greased/floured loaf pan (Dimensions: 9×5).
- Drop spoonfuls of the chocolate batter on top. Don’t spread it.
- Then, pour the remaining vanilla batter on top of the chocolate layer.
- Drop spoonfuls of the remaining chocolate batter on top.
- Use a skewer or knife to swirl the two batters together.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean. Rotate the pan halfway through for more even baking.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes. Then, remove it from the pan and place it on a cooling rack and let it cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the ganache icing: Add chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 20-second increments and mixing often until icing is silky smooth.
- Drizzle this on top of the cooled cake.